Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Not Corny At All

This voyage of discovery is two-pronged. I am attempting to discover foods to which I have a sensitivity or adverse reaction of an allergic kind. I don't want foods that set off my immune system or damage my body in one way or another.

At the same time, being as near diabetic as you can be without being diagnosed, I want to know what will and what won't cause problems with my blood sugar.

This makes for an interesting trip sometimes. I had milk and it gave me something that nearly resembled a cold. Stuffed up nose, “thick” throat, and so forth. I realized this is common for me with milk. So I have to choose – milk and a “head cold” or no milk, no congestion. I am opting for no milk, no congestion. I will test again, another time, after months of freedom from milk, but for now, and possibly for always, no milk. I will also test butter separately because it is highly possible butter will not create the same reaction. Same with other milk-based products. I know that I do not react that way to cheese.

And two days ago it was corn. I ate corn. I enjoyed the corn. I made corn tortillas from scratch. I did buy the corn flour pre-ground. Hey, I do not have a non-bulk source for dent corn yet. I'll work on it, but I live at the edge of the earth. Some things we have to do without.

Anyway, I ate corn. I had homemade corn chips for lunch with a whole avocado. It was two servings of corn chips. And I had two servings of corn tortillas for dinner as part of fajitas. Beef and onions with a little cheese. One tortilla I ate just filled with cheese. Really delicious. In the morning my blood sugar had spiked. It wasn't a huge spike. I wasn't hospital ready. But my blood sugar was 138 yesterday morning. That's too high.

Last night I did not have the avocado for lunch, but for dinner I had exactly the same meal. Beef and onions (leftovers from the night before) and cheese. This time I wrapped it in lettuce. This morning my blood sugar was 98. That's a big difference. Much healthier, much better.


I will test again, later, but for now corn is going on my list of foods to avoid. Fare-thee-well.

No comments:

Post a Comment